In honor of our boy Lance kicking ass and taking noms
over in France - again - I'm posting a couple of recipes for healthier barbecue from his site, LiveStrong.com
Now I love me some ribs and flame broiled marinated meat like the next guy, but according to the numbers they gave me from LiveStrong, a 3 ounce serving of beef short ribs is 251 calories and has 15.4 grams of fat, pork ribs have 103 calories and 8.4 grams of fat per ounce, and a single hot dog ranges between 170 -280 calories and has between 12 to 17 grams of fat.
Think of how much pedaling you'd have to do to work that off.
So, when you fire up the grill this weekend, try his Grilled Shrimp over Arugula, Corn and Tomato Salad instead. And rather than use traditional barbecue sauce, which is big on calories, use their Susy's Everything Marinade. It works on fish, chicken and steak. Lot of flavor. Without making you big enough to bend your bike frame.
(For more recipes and healthy eating tips, head to www.LiveStrong.com
Grilled Shrimp over Arugula, Corn and Tomato Salad
Makes 6 servings
16 oz shrimp, cooked
3 cups arugula
8 slices, thick/large (1/2" thick), red ripe tomatoes
1 cup fresh sweet corn
2 tbsp olive oil
2 wedges of lemon, juiced
Susy's Everything Marinade
- Let shrimp marinate in Susy's Everything Marinade for one hour in fridge.
- Grill. Then let cool a bit and remove from shell.
- Serve over a bed of arugula, heirloom tomato, and grilled corn.
- Drizzle with Olive Oil and Fresh Lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Susy’s Everything Marinade
This works for fish, chicken and steak
1 cup orange juice
2 lemons juiced
3 limes juiced
1/3 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic chopped (add more or less by preference)
1 yellow onion, cut into thick slices
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place marinade into Ziploc-style plastic bag
- Add meat, let sit in fridge for 30 minutes to two hours (chicken can be marinated over night).